The Queens Hotel was built in 1854 by a Mr Owen Thomas, who then leased it to Miss Elizabeth Hersee. Upon taking residence she placed the following advertisement in Slaters Directory in 1856.
“The Hotel is most commodiously arranged to meet the requirements of Families, Tourists and Invalids and E H hopes by every attention to their comfort. To receive the patronage which she now respectfully solicits. Hot, Cold and Shower Baths on premises. An excellent billiard table”
The Promenade was built to follow the sweep of the bay, whilst the town itself was built on a grid system which you can see on early maps of the Town. The Queens Hotel was then sold a short time later to a Mr William Griffiths of Llanrwst for ¬£4000. In 1884 a new wing was added (the part on Clonmel Street which now houses the Embassy ballroom and Windsor restaurant.
A later owner was Alderman Quellyn Roberts who owned the Hotel for 20 years. He resided in Chester where he was an Alderman and Justice of the Peace. His daughters ran the Hotel. Looking back through all censuses the next name to come to the fore was a Robert J Sheriff mentioned in 1911. Devoy Hotels took over the Hotel in 1971, under whose care it remained for over 40 years. The Queens Hotel was purchased by Northern Powerhouse Developments in 2016 – and it is now managed by Giant Hospitality.